Monday, September 17, 2007

Organ Donor...

I've been going to church so long, it seems as if I might have even been born in a church. I honestly can't remember my family not being in church. And with each memory, comes the striking knowledge that if it's a Baptist church, then it's 'got to have' a piano AND an organ. As a young boy growing up, I never really knew exactly what the organ was. I just knew that it was this big brown wooden thing that took up space on the stage where my Daddy preached. No one ever went around it....no one was allowed to go around it. When any of us younger kids got anywhere close to it, there was always this voice that penetrated the rafters of the sanctuary, "You kids get away from the organ...don't ya'll know any better than to mess with that? I remember when Sister so-and-so played that organ, it sounded just like Heaven was about to break through the ceiling..." By this time I don't remember if we were so scared from the booming voice that echoed through the building or the fact that if Heaven did break through the ceiling, we didn't want to be under it!

It wasnt' until my middle teenage years that I fully understood the 'power and authority that had been vested' into each organ throughout the land. This was truly a devise that had been given god-like status direct from above. Many put this right up there with the Ark of the Covenant. And, if you were capable of playing this blessed instrument, then people would bow at your feet at a moments notice... and your every wish was fulfilled by the Pastor and the Music Director.

This thing scared me. I wouldn't go near it for fear of this long elastic arm that would stretch through the church and yank me away from it, and if someone was playing it, the roof might fall in. This kept me on my toes during church, I'll tell you that. I would watch it, just to see if it moved or something...it had to have supernatural power.

Now that I'm older, I still have a great respect...fear if you just want to know the truth...for this instrument. Many congregations still revere it's majesty...and there are new generations being raised to fear it just as I was. However, this past weekend, my fear of this magnificent musical masterpiece has been quenched. For it was at a Fall Retreat that Denise and I attended, that someone has figured out the absolute best way to use this instrument and to remove all fear that surrounds it.

It makes a great sound board control center.

2 comments:

TJ said...

that's really funny! Looks like one of those Thomas or Allen organs. I never found much use for them anyway, and it actually looks like what I'd do to one of those! True sacrelidge would be if they did that to a vintage Hammond B or C-3. That would have made me sick!

Robert Fellows, Jr. said...

LOL!