Tuesday, September 11, 2007

Culture Shock...

When I stepped outside this morning, I wasn't greeted with the normal heat and humidity that I was accustomed to in South L.A. Instead, I was given a 'big hello' from a steady breeze of about 15 mph and a morning temperature in the mid 50's. That got my attention. I immediately headed for the coffee pot. Wow, that was an eye opener!

Today, I had a meeting with the Associational Missionary (A.M.) Dan Duffy, concerning the ministry here in Tiffin. He's a super guy...and he has this unusual habit...after he gets to know someone, when he greets them or is saying good-bye, he kisses them on the head. I guess my hair is too spikey for his likey cause he's only did that once to me. But man, he's a good guy.

The rest of the day has been spent getting ready for a retreat that we will be attending this weekend. We've been invited to set up a display booth at the Ohio State Women's Fall Retreat at Seneca Lake Retreat Center. Please pray for us as we travel...it's about a 3 hour drive.
But late this evening, I have experienced a massive case of culture shock. Denise and I were on our way back from the laundry mat...oh and by the way, we haven't had our own washer and dryer for 7 weeks now, talk about taking something for granted...and as we were almost home, I noticed something very unusual sitting in the parking lot at one of the neighborhood gas stations. Now back in Arkansas, it's common place for different parking lots to serve as 'self-service' used car lots. The big parking lot behind DP was usually lined with cars and trucks for sale by owner. But nooooooo, not today. There is was...parked out at the end of the parking lot next to the busy street, all by it's lonesome...was a SNOW PLOW attached to the front of a late model truck! And the whole thing was for sale...truck and plow! Today is September 11th. I'm normally used to still being in shorts and t-shirts, going to the Billie Football games in short-sleeves. But what did my wondering eyes should see, but a truck with a snow plow as plain as it could be! UNBELIEVABLE for this southern boy! If these things are going to be making an entrance into the public eye, can you imagine what's in store in just a few weeks? We were told last week to expect the first frost of the season around October 1st. WHAT? Are you jokin'?

OK, enough ravin' for the night...have an incredible evening...I'll see you soon...

No comments: