Saturday, October 20, 2007

Windy Week...

OK…I’ve had an eye-opening experience this week.

I’m from the South. Born and bred in the Delta…and proud of it. The South has always been known for some pretty amazing things, but the one thing that has consistently amazed me about Arkansas, is the weather. At any given time in Arkansas, a tornado can fall from the sky. I’ve seen twisters rip through the state during all twelve months of the year. I’ve watched them from a distance, and I’ve experienced them from the inside out. We never, and I did say never, had any large amounts of wind that didn’t have a twister attached to it somewhere. Whenever the wind got over 5 or 10 MPH, somebody’s trailer or cow was soon to be flying overhead. We always knew that when the clouds rolled in and the winds picked up…it was time to run for cover, ‘cause something was coming…

Now that I’m a ‘re-located Southerner’ somewhere on the Northcoast of Ohio, the concept of wind is being redefined. Up here, it’s NOTHING for the wind to blow between 25 and 35 MPH! All day! And most of the time, stronger. I talking about from the time you get up in the morning, till after you go to bed at night, non-stop wind gusts! The leaves fall, the trees bend, the house shakes, you hold on to anything that’s nailed or bolted down to keep from getting blown away.

I’ve figured out the solution…it’s time to go shopping…I need to get me some them ‘lead-filled drawers.’

No comments: