Sunday, January 18, 2009

The Indy Road Trip...

This past week presented a wonderful opportunity for me. I was invited to attend the North Central States Rally that was held in Indianapolis, IN. This is a huge 'by invitation only' conference that is for the leaders in Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, Michigan, Iowa, Minnesota and Wisconsin. I was honored to be invited. I was able to make several new friends and meet new colleagues that are 'out here in the trenches' everyday like me. I was blessed by being able to listen to two of my favorite authors and speakers, Thom Rainer and Ed Stetzer. 'Engaged' was the theme...and 'engaged' I was...

But, I have to admit, that some of the best moments were not at the conference, but, were on 'the road trip.' I road to Indy with six of my fellow pastors/colleagues from the Northcoast Baptist Association. I was next to the youngest on the trip...let the adventure begin...

I could not begin this photo blog without starting off with 'the red hat'. The oldest pastor that was on the trip was Bro. Guy Morton. Without question, a gentleman to the core. It's been said that if you look up the word 'gentleman' in the dictionary, you would find Bro. Guy's photo beside it. He certainly could be my adopted grandfather. A wise, understanding man with a true heart for God. Bro. Guy rode 'shotgun' in our 15 passenger van. Totally distinguished in his black suit, black wool overcoat, and every one of the flowing white hairs that was on his head was very gently put in place. But sitting on top of this mountain of cotton...was this crazy red felt hat. It was three sizes too small...VERY RED...yet, Bro. Guy worked it. No pomp...no circumstances...just Guy...with the red hat. We knew that we would never be lost in the snow as long as Bro. Guy had his hat. On a sad note, Bro. Guy left his hat at the conference...sounds like a special offering waiting to happen...

You can't have any type of a Baptist gathering without food...and lots of it...
This was lunch Tuesday at Applebys...

My first visit to Indiana...on I-70

Driving through Indianapolis on a snowy Tuesday...

We've arrived at the Adam's Mark Hotel...but why, please tell my why were they not prepared to register the nearly 800 of us that were coming in this afternoon...

It must go without saying, that I thought the accommodations at the hotel were unbelievably atrocious. Either it didn't work...you couldn't, or wouldn't, pay for it...the service was horrible...whatever, just simply bad...

Of the 800 guests that attended this conference, 799 of us had laptops. Good news: the hotel had internet. Bad news: it cost $9.95 a day. NO WIRELESS! Oh, except in the HOTEL LOBBY! And then, it crashed on Tuesday night when the word got out about the wireless in the lobby when 563 Baptists attempted to hook up to wireless. The hotels answer to this problem...use the computers in the 'Business Center' in the hotel. Good thought, however their 'Business Center' only had 2 computers and one of them was broke! Yep, Business Center...

They provided bottles of water for their guests in the rooms...at $4 a bottle!

There was a bright spot...Texas Roadhouse for supper! They were NOT prepared for 7 seriously hungry preachers...

And this was just the first day...


No comments: