Wednesday, December 24, 2008

Christmas Eve Thoughts...

Here it is, already after mid-night on Christmas Eve, yet somehow, I still can't go to bed. Something about the magic in the air that surrounds this single day of the year. Even though our home is decorated in festive fashion, and our Christmas tree is magnificent, my mind slips back to that cold night in Bethlehem where a young couple couldn't even find a empty hotel room. The winds here tonight have been howling like mad all evening, and I can only imagine what the winds must have been like that chosen evening. It's been hard just to walk upright in these winds, and driving has been next to impossible. Wonder what it was like for those two...soon to be three...as they journeyed just to get in out of the weather? And seriously, a cave wasn't too great of a place to stay. I doubt seriously if either of us would spend the night in a cave, surrounded by animals, if we couldn't get a room at the Holiday Inn Express! But then again, that's my Jesus.

Tonight has been filled with thoughts of Christmas around our house. Tabitha enjoyed a Christmas Eve Service with Devin at his church in Melmore...Denise and I enjoyed the Christmas Eve Service online from Trinity Life Center in Shepherdsville, KY. Our good friends T.J. & Melissa Scott serve on staff there. Afterwards, our family loves to watch Christmas movies...so to say the least, we've had plenty to choose from this past week! And for me...I've done my traditional Christmas wrapping! My father always had a tradition of 'having' to be in the hustle & bustle of Christmas Eve Shopping. And I have since carried on that tradition. For some unknown, crazy reason, I 'have' to be out in the midst of the mayhem on Christmas Eve. That's the true day of the year, when you are able to 'truly' see what a person is really all about, and what they stand for. I get a year's supply of sermon illustrations on this day alone, and today was no exception! LOL!

The Christmas Tree lights are still on, lighting up the dining room. It stands there almost as a protector of all the presents that are underneath. Tomorrow morning, the quietness of the room will give way to mass chaos as we dive in head first into the presents...and paper, bows and ribbons become projectiles! Man, I can't wait! Definitely got to have my coffee before I start that!

The girls have long gone to bed...they're the smart ones...they know Santa's on his way...and I've been enjoying the warmth and crackling of the fireplace. A good cup of coffee and that fireplace is a hard combination to beat! And I've been extra blessed by being about to chat with many of my students from H2O, and friends back home on Facebook. Geez, I love my students! The Christmas break sometimes seems forever, especially when you're used to being around each other soooo much! I pray that each of them have an incredible time with their families...and enjoy this time off...the Spring Semester looms in the distance.

I guess I need to finish up my coffee, and head to bed...NexRad says that Santa is somewhere over Canada...and that's real close. I better stoke up the fire real good...definitely want to give him a 'warm' welcome!

If you're traveling, please be safe...enjoy every moment of family time, even those in-laws and out-laws that always seem to get under your skin...eat lots of goodies! I've already got my GPS programmed to the goodie table! But more importantly, may you see the Christ in CHRISTmas.

Happy Birthday Jesus!











No comments: